Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Superbowl of Fashion







Oh, how I love the Oscars! Let me count the ways -- 1. the Jewels 2. the Hair 3. the make-up 4. the dresses and 5. oh yeah, the little gold statues too! This year was somewhat disappointing -- No Vanity Fair after-party, No really star-making moments during the show and I still can't get over the fact Tilda Swinton won Best Supporting Actress -- but I digress.

Who got it right? And Who should fire their stylist? :) This year was not filled with many flagrant fashion missteps, but not many stood out from the pack either. The usual risk-takers were absent like Keira Knightley or Natalie Portman and their presence was missed. For example, Katherine Heigl (why was she there again) looked beautiful, everything just right, but she doesn't make my list. I'm so tired of her Old Hollywood Glamour bit. I like Glamour as much as the next person, but it is 2008 and I wish she would mix it up a bit.

So who did make the cut? I have a surprising choice for my #1 pick of Best Dressed this year -- It goes to Ruby Dee from American Gangster. She was flawless: perfect hair, make-up, jewels and dress. And they were all age appropriate which is no small feat!

Other toppers of the evening were:

Dresses: Cameron Diaz, Heidi Klum, Renee Zellweger

Hair & Make-Up: Jen Garner, Marion Cotillard, Kristin Chenoweth

You would think with the stylists, money and time the Red Carpet-brigade could hit the trifecta, but few made it happen.

Best Overall Goes to Penelope Cruz, Keri Russell, Miley Cyrus and Amy Adams (I'm a sucker for Red Hair/Emerald frock combo).

And... The Oh Dear! Awards: Jennifer Hudson, Diablo Cody, Tilda Swinton

My final thought from the event was DAMN you Hollywood stylists!!! In one evening they made sure that the one-shoulder look (which I adore) will jump-the-shark faster than you can say Tory Burch.

'Til next year!

No comments: