Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Spring Updates


Question from a Curious Bee: Hey muse, If you could only buy five items (apparel, accessories, etc.) for Spring, what would they be? I need to update my wardrobe but need to keep it simple. Would love some fresh thinking from a Boston girl.


A. It is hard to narrow down to just 5 items, but I'll give a shot! The good news is a lot of styles from last season are carrying over this spring including bright colors and patent accessories. To keep it simple pick one of this season's trends and add with the basics you already have like a sheath dress or jeans!

1. Add a shot of color with a bright heel in a patent leather cherry red or a snakeskin kelly green -- I've been loving these Cole Haan heels:

2. I'm a big fan of the Safari look and with spring's finicky weather a light-weight safari jacket is not only essential but a great way to add in this trend.
3. In addition to Safari, the Bohemian look is back in a big way!!! Try accessorizing with natural looking necklaces and bangles in wood, cork and straw. Forever 21's accessories are so cheap you can afford a few and not feel guilty when they are laid to rest.

4. When I first heard about that florals were hitting the stores I had visions [read: nightmares] of my sister's Junior Prom dress from Laura Ashley!!! But after seeing the fresh take I'm in love! Try a floral blouse or skirt in a lighter fabric (to match the mood). I've seen some great multi-floral blouses at Zara (Open in Natick and coming to Newbury this spring) or grab a more beachy-take with Tibi's giant floral shirts and dresses out now.

5. Lastly, since I know this is Boston and neither an uber-trendy city, nor a vacation, I'd say go with a neutral-colored bag (bonus for woven leather) to take everywhere and with every trend!

Those are a few ways to get you started. There are a lot of different (sometimes conflicting) trends out there, so please use sparingly added to the basics you own, and remember just because Safari is in doesn't mean it goes well with the Florals you'll see out and about!




No comments: