Thursday, February 7, 2008

Madras is Timeless

Hooray! My first question...Boston Girl 26 asks:

"Style Muse - HELP! I am a classic prep but I realize it's time for me to update my look. How can I integrate a few hip pieces into my wardrobe?"

A: Well first off -- no Vera! ha just kidding :) Classic prep is a great look and you shouldn't feel the need to invest in crazy trends which will only make you feel like you are wearing a costume. That being said, if you dress in head-to-toe prep you will look like you are wearing a costume. For example a madras skirt can stand alone -- you do not need to double up the Ralph Lauren polos to go with it (or at all).

The most effective way to embrace trends is through accessories...Killer sunglasses, statement rings and necklaces, a great bag and shoes makes the sweater set and khaki combo fresh! The other key is to make sure things fit well, see a tailor regularly so that prep doesn't become matronly.

And remember to cut yourself some slack...you are in great company: Grace Kelly, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn etc.

1 comment:

beav said...

Hey muse,
If you could only buy five items (apparel, accessories, etc.) for Spring, what would they be?

I need to update my wardrobe but need to keep it simple. Would love some fresh thinking from a Boston girl.

Thanks!

P.S. Love the Vera B post -- totally agree!