Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Business Casual is Still Business!



Dear Style Muse, I just started a new job at a large company. The dress code is business casual, but on the more conservative/dressy side of the spectrum. I have my fair share of slacks, button down shirts and cardigans, but I wanted to see if you have any other ideas for work staples to look out for, or particular stores to visit, when I go spring shopping. Any advice you might have would be appreciated! Yours truly, D.C.


A. Oh have I struggled with this concept! You want to be respected, but you want to be comfortable. It sounds like you are on the right track in your wardrobe. The good news about business casual is that it allows for a bit of creativity, by pairing something more conservative with a few bold choices. For example, a fun dress belted and paired with a blazer and heels will take you from the office to drinks. Blazers also work well with jeans (not torn jeans but a tailored pair in dark hue). The easiest fail-safe advice on the business-casual front I can give anyone is to keep a client/meeting appropriate outfit at your office in case of emergencies.


As far as stores to look at -- it sounds like you are frequenting J. Crew, Banana Republic etc. --I'd add in some cheaper trendier counterpoints for layering with the basics: Zara and H&M as well as Nordstrom and other Dept. stores during their bi-annual sales.


As a last note, I think this is a good place to point out that nude-pantyhose are always a NO! When you can get away with it, go bare, and when you can't, match your stockings to your shoes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... so what would you wear with a brown skirt suit and brown shoes in the winter? I can't quite picture that with brown tights. Is this outfit doomed?

The Muse said...

Sorry for the delay! In this case, try brown, navy or gray. BUT not in the tradional thick plain style, try something sheer with pattern like diamonds or polka dots to keep it updated.