Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Where are the rest of your pants?


I recently had dinner with a dear old friend of mine and as we reminisced I realized how much I missed having his honest male opinion at my fingertips. Even today certain advice still rings true, so I've decided to share a bit with you all.

Capris have long-been in style. I remember this pair of light-pink Old Navy capris I'd paired with a cute black tube top and flip-flops -- "stylish and comfortable" my naive-self thought. My friend picked me up for the party and said "Where are the rest of your pants?" Just when I thought his criticism was finished he added ever-articulately, "And tube tops do nothing for girls, I don't know why they bother, they're so stupid."

With that I was finished! Before I even entered the door to the all-important high school soiree my confidence had been blown (although I'd never have him know it). While that night came and went, the poorly-timed advice has stayed with me -- as a general rule, capris and tube tops are not friends to the female form and will leave most men wondering where are the rest of your pants? (I've done a highly thorough audit of this opinion and find that it does hold true)

Am I suggesting you throw them out completely? Not necessarily, but just because J.Crew has displayed an impossibly cute model on its pages wearing a similar outfit does not mean it will work in the real world.

And while my male friend doesn't usually listen to me, he has no choice but to learn from me as well. Last time he came to visit, he sported the most hideous pair of "mandals" I've seen, so I took matters in my own hands and hid them from him before he left...for his own good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting to get the male's perspective on capri pants and tube tops. I have way too many capris and think I'll have to tuck them away this year. But if tube tops aren't flattering, does this mean strapless dresses are out too? Or is it just something about the tube top that makes them unflattering?

The Muse said...

Great question! Personally I love the strapless dress, but can see that it can be unflattering at times, get a great strapless bra and you should be all set!