Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Spring Clean Your Wardrobe

I've never been the most organized person. Add to that the number of items in my closet and lack of decision capabilities and my closet has been known to scare away friends and family. And I've tried, really I've tried to be clean the same way I try to be on time, and it just never seemed to work. Happily both of these things are changing with the help of SisterMuse2. After many reluctant attempts, I finally allowed her to go Oprah my ass! It was not pretty. Even when you think you've sent as many bags as humanly possible to the Salvation Army, I promise there is still more that will be ripped away.

It took a full weekend to get into working order, there were tears that led to therapeutic moments on the couch "what's wrong?" I was overwhelmed. All the disrespect I'd been showing my clothes was being thrown in front of my face -- and I've learned to never go back. As I enter another season it will be easier than ever to change over my wardrobe (something I'd never done before). Here are some of the difficult to learn things I've found the most useful -- And I hope that there is at least one person that can benefit from me showing my extreme naivete at clothes-caring.

1. Get the vacuum-sealed bags to put the majority of out-of-season clothes away. I never really understood the point of this, but having more room in your closet allows for easier access. I do tend to leave out a few items so that only colder evenings I can add in something unexpected like a turtleneck with shorts!

2. No matter how limited your storage space is, do not use the top shelf for stacked clothing. While obvious, it never really dawned on me how to solve the problem of the entire stack falling onto the ground. It is simple, find another place. Use the top shelf for clutches, headbands and other accessories.

3. And because I can't say it better myself look at this In Style article for tips on how to edit and rebuild your closet. It should be a fun experience, like shopping in your favorite boutique!

4. I cannot remember where I read this last tip (maybe Real Simple?), but I love it! Pull out 8 basic pieces, then 8 trendy pieces lay them out and mix/match outfits complete with jewelry, shoes etc. Here is the clincher -- snap photos of the outfits for easy reference when you are getting dressed.

Look fab in a flash!

No comments: