Friday, April 4, 2008

Men's Style Part One

It has come to my attention that I need to devote more time and effort to men's fashion. I'll admit I find this task pretty daunting, where to start!!!
As I've said before, whether we like it or not style is how we present ourselves to the world. I've needed to remind myself of this on more bleary-eyed days than I can count. So I'm always a little bit in awe when I see a dapper-dressed man. Sure we see men that aren't afraid to be stylish in the media -- the era of grunge and hip-hop has given way to a slew of men that want to look good, just look at Justin Timberlake and Tom Brady. A tremendous example of the grown-up look was NKOTB (New Kids on the Block) on the Today show dressed in fashionable suits, quite the change from when they first came on the scene.

BUT what about the REAL world? In most cases this hasn't caught on to the masses quite yet! That being said, at my office we have the Scottish Style Invasion! As we all know, European men have never been afraid to show their style -- and I love it! Always work-appropriate but polished and fun at the same time, I think all men can take a page out of this book.

My hope is to get real men to share their secrets in the near future, but today It is just me! So here are a few things I think most women want to see...

Clothes that fit! Too big or Too small are Too much...

Just say NO to uber-designer jeans. We still want you to look like a man, Go Levis or even Diesel but leave the Sevens to the ladies...

But indulge in Luxe fabric...Let's face it, you're wardrobe is smaller and you most likely rotate more frequently, so invest in the coziest Cashmere and best qualities...

Aviators are just HOT...

Mix dressy and casual -- Jeans with tie and vest...

This may seem obvious, but no tank-tops ever...

And while we're at it, save the sweats for home...

Ladies what am I missing???? Would love to hear comments on this! There is oh-so-much more on this subject so To Be Continued...

5 comments:

the loyal servant said...

no sweats! thank you for sharing my PSA on that topic.

beav said...

What about fit? Men who wear pants/shirts too tight, too loose? If a man is in good shape, can he get away with wearing a tight-fitting dress shirt at work?

What is your verdict on this Muse?

Anonymous said...

Any man in a suit that fits to perfection does it for me. I also think that men that stick with the classics always pull it off in style. A man that is not scared to wear bright colors in the spring and summer is also secure in his masculinity.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of layering for men. A nice white undershirt under a crisp button-down. Or a great button-down under a mock-neck zip sweater. Then of course there's the shoe issue -- I think men need just five pairs: classic brown lace-ups, ditto in black, one pair of non-work-out sneakers, one pair of gym shoes, and last but not least, one pair of rainbows. Just say no to mandles!

Paipai said...

And belts! Even if you're European, please wear a belt!