Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fabulous Finds for Skin


Call it the arrogance of the young, but like many things in my life, I'm just starting to get it. This also applies to the things I already knew like sunscreen, I am pretty sure I started taking that seriously when I turned 20; daily moisturizer with SPF when I turned 23. Now that I'm about to slam into 28, I've finally begun to understand the importance of a full skin care regime and have to wonder how much damage I've already done?

A few weeks ago I was at Trish McEvoy getting some new make-up. While I understand they try and peddle every serum under the sun, I knew she meant business after seeing her reaction after she asked if I used an eye cream (it reminded me of Mother Muse back in the day when I was frequently reminded that I "couldn't trick a tricker.") So I had to admit that my emphatic "yes" was more like occasionally dousing a little eye cream when I remember.

This woman was clearly seeing the bigger picture -- I wasn't getting it. So when she sent me on my way with a tote full of trial size products I became obsessed. When I'm looking through the magazines I actually read the skin care articles now and have found some great products for those of us that are just graduating into the "frig, I'm getting older" or "you want how much for an ounce?" groups of women (and men).

As a newbie the following are the most important additions to your skin care regimen -- eye cream, at-home peels, and moisturizer with SPF. With so many options it can be really easy to say the most expensive must be the best, but often that is not the case and is purely marketing.

For eye cream look for products that have collagen boosters like retinol, antioxidants like Vitamin C and peptides. The entire Muse family has been turned onto Dr. Wexler 3 in 1 eye cream as well as all her other products.

At-home peels and microdermabrasion, they sound a lot scarier than they actually are -- I hear it and think of Samantha in SATC, follow the directions and you won't notice a thing. Try Ole Henriksen, Murad or RoC from your local drugstore.

As for moisturizer -- I think this is a totally personal experience...Sister Muse1 likes La Mer but I'm allergic. I like L'Oreal Future E because it is light and easy on the wallet. In fact I like L'Oreal's products in general because they have the same owners and often use the same ingredients as Kiehl's and Lancome.

Oh and give it a few months, because if you are like me, there are years of damage control going down!

No comments: